On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 07:10:52PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 04:13:14PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 01:41, Alejandro Colomar said:
> >
> > > This is breaking behavior, so it needs some more justification than just
> > > the above.
> >
> > FWIW, I am using another patch for 2 years now to send unattended but
> > signed mails.  The patch requires a new option to avoid the risk of
> > regressions.  See
> >
> >   https://lists.mutt.org/pipermail/mutt-dev/Week-of-Mon-20220725/thread.html
> >
> > and Kevin's follow-up.  Unfortunately I had not have the time to
> > continue working on the patch to get this or something else upstream.
>
> Hmm.  Interesting.  I think I prefer not adding an option.  It's
> breaking behavior

So, acknowledging that this discussion is mostly academic since
there seems not to be anyone to maintain/support new features...

> but at least it keeps it simple: you enable crypto in
> the config, you get crypto.

No it doesn't.  I use both encryption and unattended mail, and I don't
use gpg-agent or equivalent, quite intentionally, as I want the choice
to use encryption to be quite deliberate, requiring me to type my
passphrase each time I do so. Your method completely breaks me.  No
thanks.

Besides which, this is Mutt's longstanding development philosophy.  It
violates principle of least surprise.  An option is required. [And
this, from a guy who hates adding options...]

-=-=-=-=-