after searching through the email archives on this topic, i found the
following message dated Nov 14th, 1998:

        Forwarding specific attachments
         By Vikas Agnihotri @att.com

        I might be missing something here but how do I forward just one
        attachment to another recipient.

        For instance: I have a mail containing a text/plain, a
        application/msword and a image/gif attachment.

        I want to forward the application/msword attachment to another
        recipient.

        I set mime_forward, unset mime_forward_decode, went to the attachment
        menu and did a 'forward'.  Mutt
        created a message/rfc822 attachment
        containing just the Word document. I didnt want this because it
        exposes too much details about where I got the
        attachment from, etc. What I wanted was just the Word document as a
        attachment.

        i.e. the effect achieved by saving the attachment, composing the
        message and then doing a simple attach-file
        from the compose menu.
        Thanks for any help,
        Vikas

unfortunately, i didn't find an answer to this anywhere.  does anyone
know of a way?  or are we stuck with doing it manually?  (e.g., first
saving, then composing, and finally attaching).

thanks,
--andy