Eric Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > In what way do they fail to work?
>
> Well, they do not set the headers or whatever, they just do not have
> any effect.

The only un-commented send-hook in the huge muttrc file you sent was one
that tries to set the subject header.  I believe there is a limitation
that the subject cannot be set by send-hooks.  But any other header
should be settable.

> I need to change the "From:" in a scripted mail out that I do with
> perl.

Why use Mutt?  Why not simply format your headers the way you want them
to be, in your script, and then send the result directly to "sendmail -t"?

    open(MAIL, "|/usr/lib/sendmail -t");

    print MAIL "From: Bogus User <bogus\@example.com>\n";
    print MAIL "To: Another User <another\@example.com>\n";
    print MAIL "Subject: This is very important\n";
    print MAIL "\n";
    print MAIL "This is my message to you.\n";

    close(MAIL);

If you don't want the recipients to show in the headers, don't use
sendmail's -t flag; instead put the users on the command line:

    @recipients = ( "bogus\@example.com", "another\@example.com" );

    open(MAIL, "|/usr/lib/sendmail @recipients");

    print MAIL "From: Bogus User <bogus\@example.com>\n";
    print MAIL "To: undisclosed-recipients:;\n";
    print MAIL "Subject: This is very important\n";
    print MAIL "\n";
    print MAIL "This is my message to you.\n";

    close(MAIL);

> It would be nice to get the hooks to work though.

Try "send-hook ~A 'my_hdr X-My-Header: blah'" and I think you will see
that send-hooks do work.

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not