Hi!

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 03:42:23PM -0700, Rob Thomas wrote:
> I've been using mutt for a year on a shell, but just tried to run it
> locally with a fetchmail setup.  The problem is, whenever I try to send a
> message  I get "Error sending messsage, Child exited".  However, I can
> send messages fine in pine.

Check the value of the configuration variable "sendmail", it must
point to a MTA (mail transfer agent) like sendmail, qmail, exim, ...
you can't omit this, because mail user agents aren't required to speak
SMTP to send mail to a remote machine (mutt doesn't).

ssmtp is reported to be a very simple to set up MTA.

Gero