On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 04:13:31PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> You should all check out Brian Winters version, which is reportedly rather
> stable and was written from scratch.

IMNSHO you should follow Jeremey's advice. ;)  I can tell you from
experience that hacking on their elm.c example until it works isn't
worth the pain.

I wrote my version ("navmutt") from scratch in part because I got
tired of trying to seperate the bugs in the example elm.c from the
bugs in Navigator and Communicator.  As of 4.61 Nav and Com are both
pretty clean in their support for the Mail half of the API, but
earlier versions had some major API noncompliance issues.  Navmutt
works around those issues whenever it can, but sometimes there isn't
any way to tell what the user wanted done.

<shameless plug>

In addition to working around Netscape goofs, navmutt has working
support for more options than elm.c supported, like Nav/Com supplied
message bodies for instance.  (Select "File:Send Link" in Nav 4.61, or
"File:Send Page" in Com 4.61 to see this in action.)  AFAIK navmutt's
tempfile creation is safe, although if this is a concern for you
please don't take my word for it, check the source.  navmutt has most
of the news API infrastructure written, although it falls short of
providing functional news url support.  Configuration is fairly clean,
mostly a matter of commenting or uncommenting #defines.  (Runtime
configuration support through an rc file is on the to do list.)

navmutt was written by me from scratch based on the API documentation,
so it should be free from any Netscape copyrights (unlike elm.c).  I
have released navmutt under the LGPL.

</shameless plug>

While I'm talking about navmutt, perhaps someone can help me out with
news URLs.  My problem is that I'm not aware of any news readers which
allow you to specify starting nntp server and group on the command
line.  The best idea I've come up with so far is to write a temporary
rc file, but I really, really don't like that solution so I haven't
attempted it yet.  Any pointers in this area would be greatly
appreciated.

Also, if you would like to be notified when a new version of navmutt
comes out (so far about every 4-6 weeks or so) let me know and I'll
put you on my list.

Brian