On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 11:45 AM, David DeSimone ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) typed:

> Of course, it's hard to put those nice highlights back again, if you
> take them out.  Why not simply filter the file through "col -b" once,
> and save it that way on your system, so that you don't have to do it
> every single time?

Oh, of course I don't filter it on every reading; I've used the following
for a long time now:

manual-plain.txt:       ${MUTTDOCDIR}/manual.txt
                        col -b < $< > $@

But every time I build a release, I hear a tiny voice whispering "those
damn ctrl-H's!"

I use "less" too, but I still get stuff like:

  <B7>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- low traffic list for announcements

with a recent "less", or even

  \267  [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- low traffic list for announcements

with my vintage 1992 version of "less".

I guess my original thought was that someone new to mutt who happened to
click on the "text" link on the web site would look at what he or she got
and think "what is all that double letter stuff?" and go somewhere else.

But, I'm probably being too harsh, here. Just call me a text-weenie :)

--
-e