Chris Green [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> I have been using mutt on a number of different systems for quite a
> long while (since something like version 0.7x I think).  It has served
> me well and has become steadily better.  However I am now seriously
> looking at other MUAs and one of the main reasons is mutt's minimal
> POP3 support.

If you like Mutt so much, why not look instead at using another POP3
implementation (fetchmail) while still using Mutt?  That's how it's
/supposed/ to work.

> Mutt as it stands simply can't handle this [POP3] situation well.

But why do you expect that it should?  Do you expect sendmail to have a
nice interface for reading your mail, when that isn't its job?  Why should
Mutt, which is meant to read/compose mails, have functionality to transfer
them as well?  POP3 is a mail /transport/ protocol.  Mutt doesn't do mail
transport (except for the existing, old, basic POP3 code which shouldn't be
there either).

The problem isn't with Mutt, it's with your monolithic ideas of how this
should be set up.  Get fetchmail, configure it, macro index G
"!fetchmail<enter>", and be done with it.

> It's also
> more difficult (though quite possible) in mutt to set up different
> 'personalities'.  My ideal would be a mailer which allows
> customisation of most settings on a per folder basis, some of the
> better MUAs are now moving towards this sort of approach (Eudora 4 Pro
> in Windows, Mahogany in X and Windows).  Mutt can do this but it's not
> so 'personality' oriented.

Some of the "better" MUAs? -boggle- Eudora is crap from a perspective of
standards implementation and sensible MIME handling.

Anyway... this is trivial in Mutt, and rather complete.  Use folder-hooks
and you can do literally anything you want when you enter any given folder.
If you want it 'personality' oriented, try using comments and grouped
commands in your .muttrc.  Or sourcing different files, etc.  The only real
point of 'personalities' is organization, and IMO you can do this just as
easily with the above.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/

PGP signature