I was using mutt for a long time without any problems. A few days ago I decided to
upgrade to mutt1.0pre2i and now I am doomed.

Mutt opens the defaultmailbox ($mail) and shows me the mails. as soon as I want to
open another mailbox or quit mutt (so when mutt has to
close the current mailbox) it crashes: segmentation-fault (core dumped)

I cant fix this. I tried to downgrade to 0.95i again. I tried to start mutt -n to
avoid errors in my muttrc. I tried several kernels. I
upgraded my local mailer (procmail) to its newest version. no help.

and now it gets weired. I restored a old mailbox from a backup and mutt can open/close
it without any problem. but as soon as any new
mail is appended to the mailbox (no matter if mutt is running or not) and I want to
close the mailbox, I get the error.
I transfered a mailbox, that crashes mutt to another system, where mutt is installed
and it can handle it without problem.
also pine can handle the mailboxes (it justs adds it usual DO NOT DELETE-mail). after
a mailbox opened with pine I can open/close the box
in mutt again, but as soon as a new mail arrives mutt will crash again.
it looks like the mailbox has an error, but only mutts on this special machine has
this troubles. I looked into the mailbox and it looked
like a mailbox should look like. I tried to repair the mailbox with formail -ds : no
help.
I reinstalled mutt many times. I searched my whole system for other troubles but all
other things seems to work normal. my system dont
give me any idea that there would be somehing wrong.

I simply dont know where I should continue trying to fix this. I need mutt and I want
it. (I have to handle a few mailboxes with quite a
lot mail each day)

another point that might be of interest:
* When I upgraded from mutt0.95i to mutt1.0pre2i I installed the
compressed-folder-patch
which didnt work (I got the above error when closing a compressed box) and since then
I cant get back to a running mutt. (I didnt install
the patch again. all my troubles are with standard-distributed mutt)
* I can send mails out of mutt
* when I postpone a message and then want to recall it, I come to the above error.

----------------

my system: linux based on redhat5.2, kernel 2.2.12

core-backtrace with gdb:

#0  0x400ac1f1 in _IO_old_file_close_it (fp=0x80bfe88) at oldfileops.c:143
#1  0x400a7517 in freopen (filename=0x80c3a10 "/home/pilsl/mail/inbox.1999-week36",
mode=0x8098420 "r+", fp=0x80bfe88) at freopen.c:53
#2  0x806a0bc in mbox_sync_mailbox (ctx=0x80c8958) at mbox.c:682
#3  0x806f12b in sync_mailbox (ctx=0x80c8958) at mx.c:719
#4  0x806f544 in mx_close_mailbox (ctx=0x80c8958) at mx.c:873
#5  0x8058803 in mutt_index_menu () at curs_main.c:746
#6  0x80690cd in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffd54) at main.c:680

if you need any more debuggin-information, please explain it thumb-mode how I can get
it due I´m no programmer at all.

ANY (really any) help is greately appretiated.

thanks,
peter

mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43/(0)/6763574035