I post my problem again, but now in a readable format.
I dont know if post to mutt or mutt-dev, so I crosspost to both:

I was using mutt for a long time without any problems. A few days ago I
decided to upgrade to mutt1.0pre2i and now I am doomed.

Mutt opens the defaultmailbox ($mail) and shows me the mails. as soon as
I want to open another mailbox or quit mutt (so when mutt has to close
the current mailbox) it crashes:  Sorting Mailbox... segmentation-fault
(core dumped)

I cant fix this. I tried to downgrade to 0.95i again. I tried to start
mutt -n to avoid errors in my muttrc. I tried several kernels. I
upgraded my local mailer (procmail) to its newest version. no help.

Other mailprograms like pico can handle the box without any problems and
I discovered that mutt only crashes on somehow changed mailboxes.
When opening a box that was opened by pico before or was restored from
an old backup, mutt has no problems until a new mail arrives in the
mailbox (no matter if mutt is running or not) - then mutt will crash
like described above.
It seems that mutt cannot sort the mailboxes.  I tried the sort=unsorted
- command in my muttrc and then the error message when closing a mailbox
changed to: Writing Mailbox... segmentation-fault (core dumped)

When installing mutt 1.0pre2i from a rpm-package I dont have the above
troubles !! mutt works like an angel, but it is compiled for use with
pgp2 and I need pgp5 so this is no solution to me.

At the end I solved my problem with compiling mutt on another machine
and transfer the mutt-binary to my machine and now use mutt without
troubles.

So its for sure, that there are some libs wrong on my system, but I
havent any idea which one it could be.

When compiling mutt I get no errors but a lot of the following, which
should not cause the problem: .. /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ISO_8859-1,GL:
No unicode value for `<i-acute>'. ..

I also downloaded mutt from different mirrors to make sure that there is
no corrupted source. I also tried to compile with slang instead of
ncurses - no help.

Though I can use mutt now IŽd like to know whats the problem here.

any advice is welcome

thanks,

peter

----------------

my system: linux based on redhat5.2, kernel 2.2.12

# mutt -v
Mutt 1.0pre2i (1999-08-31)

System: Linux 2.2.12 [using slang 10202]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
-USE_IMAP  -USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX  +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_PGP5
+HAVE_PGP2  -BUFFY_SIZE
-EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/spool/mail"
SHAREDIR="/usr/local/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc"
-ISPELL
_PGPPATH="/usr/bin/pgp"
_PGPV2PATH="/usr/bin/pgp"
_PGPV3PATH="/usr/bin/pgp"
To contact the developers, please mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

core-backtrace with gdb:

#0  0x400ac1f1 in _IO_old_file_close_it (fp=0x80bfe88) at oldfileops.c:143
#1  0x400a7517 in freopen (filename=0x80c3a10 "/home/pilsl/mail/inbox.1999-week36",
mode=0x8098420 "r+", fp=0x80bfe88) at freopen.c:53
#2  0x806a0bc in mbox_sync_mailbox (ctx=0x80c8958) at mbox.c:682
#3  0x806f12b in sync_mailbox (ctx=0x80c8958) at mx.c:719
#4  0x806f544 in mx_close_mailbox (ctx=0x80c8958) at mx.c:873
#5  0x8058803 in mutt_index_menu () at curs_main.c:746
#6  0x80690cd in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffd54) at main.c:680

--

mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43/(0)/6763574035