I acquired xterm-117, which seems to support utf-8 at least to the
extent that it looks right when I cat a utf-8 file to the terminal.
However, if I run mutt in the xterm, with charset=utf-8, it doesn't
look right:

Characters 0xa0..0xff in an iso-8859-X attachment are not being
converted to utf-8; they are all displayed as "?", except for a very
few, which are displayed as " ".

Characters in a utf-8 attachment are sometimes displayed correctly,
sometimes displayed as "? ", sometimes as "  " (two spaces).

Do I need a newer slang or ncurses for utf-8 to work? Has anyone had
utf-8 working with mutt?

If anyone else wants to try this, it's very easy. You don't even need
any new fonts because there are enough problems getting utf-8 encoded
8859-1 characters to work.

Just get http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.tar.gz,
./configure --enable-wide-chars, and make. Then "xterm -u8".

I'll be happy to send you an e-mail for you to test with ...

If you do want some Unicode fonts, there are instructions in:

ftp://ftp.ilog.fr/pub/Users/haible/utf8/Unicode-HOWTO.html

Edmund