On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 07:46:14PM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 04:26:30PM -0500, David DeSimone wrote:
> > Lalo Martins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there some way to tell mutt to fix that somehow?
> >
> > I, too, have wished I could change the broken encoding on some received
> > messages.  Windows-1250 seems to be a common one that's misrepresented
> > as us-ascii.
>
> The one I'm having problems with is something Windows-based too.
>
> > > Perhaps ignore ``encoding'' when it's us-ascii, or when it's obviously
> > > wrong?
> >
> > The trouble is, knowing it's wrong isn't too hard, but how do you know
> > what the right encoding is, then?
>
> Assume ISO latin1, which is the default.
>
> If latin1 isn't the right encoding, using it won't make the
> message less readable than using us-ascii.
>
> Or perhaps use whatever the user configured as the default
> encoding (there is such an option, isn't there?).

Or, better yet, allow user to specify one.  I often receive mails with
iso-8859-1 (that is latin-1) instead of iso-8859-13 just because many
(Windows-based) mailers do not support iso-8859-13.

Best Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
What did you bring that book I didn't want
to be read to out of about Down Under up for?