Pieter Wenk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Mon, 25 Oct 1999:
> I just installed mutt as E-Mailer. Found a suitable muttrc on a site
> in Germany.

> How do I have to tell it to mutt, that I would be pleased, that instead
> of showing just a only a number for incoming new mail, it would
> also show, sender, subject, date and size.

If you mean the message index, by default it has all of that
information.  What does your $index_format look like?  Maybe the
.muttrc you used changes the default to what you're seeing now.

If you don't mean the mailbox / mail folder index, what do you mean
with "for incoming mail"?

> When moving with "c" to mail-folders, how do I have to tell it
> to mutt, that instead of just only a numbered non-saying list,
> I should like to see, folder name, unread/read messages.

Again, this is also displayed by default.  Well, Mutt only shows whether
a mail folder has new mail or not, it doesn't count the number of
messages (new or read) in a mail folder because doing that would make
things too slow.  What does your $folder_format look like?  It too may
have been changed by the .muttrc you are using.

For both of these formatting problems, try using Mutt with just the
defaults ("mutt -n -F /dev/null") and see what it looks like, and
whether you can see the information you want.  If the answer is yes,
then you need to check the settings in your .muttrc (or /etc/Muttrc
possibly).

> Attachments: For my work I am using very often the attachments
> possibilities. Now this are usually docs having .doc, or xls
> extensions.How does mutt cope with this ?

You can attach those files just like any other file.  If you mean the
MIME type used for such files when sending them as attachements, I think
mutt looks up the extension in the relevant mime.types file (either
$HOME/.mime.types, /usr/local/share/mutt/mime.types or
${prefix}/etc/mime.types) and uses the type specified there.  Just make
sure your mime.types file has the right type and extension specified for
the files, and you should be all set.

At least my mime.types has:

application/msword              doc
text/xml                        xml dtd

... so these are probably correct by default.  As for reading them,
well, if you have a program which can read such files under your unix
account, you can specify that in a relevant entry in the ~/.mailcap
file (or /etc/mailcap).

Hope this helps,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /