As /var/spool/mail/paul was only being opened as read only, even after
changing permissions on mutt_dotlock to group mail setgid as suggested,
I foolishly changed  permissions on /usr/bin/mutt in the same way. Now
it won`t start at all, the error message is:

mutt: I don't want to run with privileges!

The only way so far that I`ve managed to get this to work is to add
myself to the group mail but this is not recommended so please does
anyone have any ideas? Also how do I change the permissions on
/usr/bin/mutt back to the way they were:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       417712 Apr 25  1999 /usr/bin/mutt

In despair
Paul
--
Paul Walton                 * Powered by *
Cambridge                * Debian GNU Linux *