sam rosenfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a single-user (me) box with two potential mail users -- root
> and user.  When I'm logged in as "user" and open mutt, I get an error
> message which reads:  "/var/spool/mail/root:  Permission denied
> (errno=13)".

The setting that controls this is called $spoolfile.  You should check
to see if it is getting set somewhere.  It probably isn't, because if
it's not set, Mutt will create a convenient default that probably points
to the right place.

The environment will come into play, though.  If there is a $MAIL
variable in your environment, it will be used as the default for
$spoolfile.  Otherwise, a default is constructed from the $USER
variable.

So I would presume that, either you have $MAIL set to
/var/spool/mail/root, or you have $USER set to root.  Both of these
mean there is some misconfiguration in your login-session scripts,
and probably not in any Mutt config scripts.

> And, I want to make my screen a bit more attractive and readable.  How
> do I set the COLORFGBG?  (The manual.txt is a bit obscure on this
> issue.)

This is a SLANG config variable, not exactly a Mutt config (though Mutt
might have been compiled with Slang on your system).  The COLORFGBG
variable defines the foreground and background colors that your terminal
has.  Slang has no way to know, for instance, that your terminal's
foreground color might be cyan, and the background might be black.  So
you can set this variable so that Slang can tell:

    export COLORFGBG="cyan;black"

This does *NOT* mean that when you run a Slang program, it will make
your foregroudn be cyan, and your background black!  Instead it means
that, when Slang runs with this setting, it will assume that, if the
foreground is supposed to be cyan, and the background is supposed to be
black, that it can just print normal, uncolored spaces, or use screen-
clear and line-clear commands, because the proper colors will get used
by the terminal.

Now, that's probably clear as mud.  :(

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not