I simply cannot get Mutt to show German characters in the pager. The
characters either show up as ?'s or (worse yet) as Cyrillic-looking
letters. Even if I set LANG=de, the German menu items have the same
Cyrillic letters in them.

I've enabled NLS in Mutt. My .muttrc file contains the line
        set charset="iso-8859-1"

Dirk Pirschel's suggestion:
> Mutt will only display iso-latin1 chars if you set locale appropriate.
> try LANG = en_US.iso88591
gives the Cyrillic letters. Nothing I have set LANG, LANGUAGE or LC_CTYPE
to changes this behavior, nor does choosing different charsets in .muttrc.
I've also tried --enable-locales-fix, but no difference.

Maybe my charsets are missing/corrupted. I don't even know what to look
for, hence the title of this note. Any pointers to a NLS tutorial will be
much appreciated, as will be any fixes for my little problem.

Howard Arons