On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 12:17:55PM -0600, David DeSimone wrote:
> Eugene Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there anyway to get different colors in the index for "From" and
> > > "Subject" ?
> >
> >       color header magenta default ^(Subject|To|Date|From):
>
> That colorizes the headers in the pager, but I think he was asking about
> the index display.  Such as, can the "From" address and the "Subject"
> portions of the display, be put in different colors?  The answer is NO.
>
> This has been lovingly termed "the rainbow effect," as far as features
> that users think that they want.  I believe that, long ago, someone did
> implement this in an old version of Mutt, and he reported that it looked
> awful.  So it was never folded into Mutt.

This is my number one desired feature for mutt. In an old MUA of my own
design, the actual subject part of the "Subject:" line was highlighted
instead of the whole line. Like so:

     Subject: this is the subject
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              this is highlighted

I much prefer this as it draws your eye to the data you want to see, not
the label for the data. It seems like this could be handled with regular
expressions that designated how to highlight only part of the match. Like
this, for example,

     ^Subject: ((.*))$

where the "match" is only the part of the target which matches the
expression between the double parentheses. This might have other uses as
as well.

Carl

P.S. Thanks all for such a great mail reader!