Re Mutt version:

Mutt 1.0i (1999-10-22)
Copyright (C) 1996-9 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: SunOS 5.5.1 [using ncurses 5.0]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
-USE_IMAP  -USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX  +HAVE_COLOR
+HAVE_PGP2  -BUFFY_SIZE
-EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
SENDMAIL="/usr/lib/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
SHAREDIR="/usr/local/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc"
ISPELL="/usr/local/bin/ispell"
_PGPPATH="/usr/local/bin/pgp"
_PGPV2PATH="/usr/local/bin/pgp"

After composing a message, I tried to attach a file to it.  I used the
"Attach file" command from the "Compose" menu and typed "?" to select
from the list of files.  After navigating through several directories,
I got to a directory that contained a symbolic link to the file I
wanted to attach.  I moved the cursor down to the link, typed a
carriage return to select the link, and got the message "<full
pathname of link> is not a directory".

--
John Yates                                              305 South 38th Street
Flatiron Software                               Boulder, Colorado 80303