On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Mikko Hänninen wrote:
> Thomas Roessler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Fri, 10 Dec 1999:
> > mutt could just pass "-f<address>" to sendmail.
> >
> > Note that at least sendmail and the sendmail emulation of postfix
> > can handle this.

I second that. And the -f address option is _required_ for extended
addressing (the so-called "+ hack". See my from address for an example) to
work As It Should(tm) with MTAs.

> I wonder about the other popular MTA's, exim, smail, whatever are
> there?  Maybe they have good enough "sendmail emulation" that this

I seem to recall exim did understand -f, but since its extended address
support is broken somewhere else (or at the very least a RPITA to setup), I
changed to Postfix a while ago. I am not sure of the current state of exim.

Regardless, -f is the documented way to set the envelope sender for mutt's
method of delivering mail (i.e.: it's the MTA's problem). It should be
properly supported IMHO. If a MTA doesn't suport it, that's the MTA's
problem (and a serious bug in their sendmail-compatibility layer IMHO).

> considering.  Then again, it's already possible for the user to
> change the sendmail command for this purpose.  But I suppose it

Yes, it is possible to use $sendmail... However, it is also somewhat of
kludge, and it rapidly becomes a pain if you have lots of (valid) envelope
addresses to set everywhere.

> The most flexible approach that I can think of would be to have two
> variables, $use_from_as_return_path, and $return_path.  $return_path
> gets used always if defined, otherwise there's either no explicit
> return path set or it's set according to the From header, depending
> on whether $use_from_as_return_path is set.  Obviously the names
> could be something better.

This seems very good. You could also use my_hdr from_, but that's far more
cryptic. And I really like $use_from_as_return_path...

> added, I'm quite happy to have a single address as my envelope sender
> for all my emails. :-)

Well, I don't :-) Some of mine are spamtraps (so I really don't want my
canon address anywhere in the (sender|from) headers), while others get
through paranoid software which sends anything which mismatches envelope
sender and RFC822 from to the bitbucket.

  Henrique Holschuh