Here's what I use:

# .muttrc
set pgp_encryptself
set pgp_default_version="pgp6"
set pgp_send_version="pgp6"
set pgp_receive_version="pgp6"
set pgp_key_version="pgp6"

set pgp_timeout=300  # time in seconds to keep the passphrase in memory
set pgp_v6="/path/to/pgp6" # path to pgp6 binary
set pgp_v6_pubring="/path/to/pgp/pubring" # public key ring
set pgp_v6_secring="/path/to/pgp/secring" # secret key ring
# end .muttrc

Also, include the procmail code found at
http://www.mutt.org/doc/PGP-Notes.txt
so mutt will automactically prompt you for
your passphrase when a PGP message comes in.

If you're running Linux, I'd suggest using GPG. It's easier to install and
a bit easier to use.  www.gnupg.org