On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 12:06:22PM +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 2000-02-20 10:41:45 -0500, David Shaw wrote:
>
> > Got it.  I guess I was expecting the old mbox behavior.  I switched to
> > maildir after the second corrupted mbox file in the past year (I bug
> > reported the last one, but I don't know if the fix made it in to
> > mutt).
>
> Which one?

Attached below.  If I recall, it was an obscure race when one instance
of mutt was writing a mbox and another was starting up at the same
moment. (and for all I know, procmail may have been delivering at the
very instant as well).

Edmund GRIMLEY posted a fix a day later.

> > I wonder if there is a way to approximate the mbox behavior with
> > maildir?
>
> Set mark_old.

Well, that's not really approximating the mbox behavior.

The mbox behavior with mark_old unset when someone leaves a folder
with new messages is to leave them marked new, and mutt ignores that
mbox until some new mail arrives.

The maildir behavior with mark_old unset when someone leaves a folder
with new messages is to leave them marked new, and mutt immediately
pops up "New mail in ...".  That makes change-folder a lot less
useful.

I'm using set mark_old now, but I do miss the old mbox behavior.  I
just don't feel good about trusting mboxes anymore.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/

Hi,

I just managed to get mutt 1.1.2i to dump core.  I can't seem to
duplicate it, but I think it has something to do with one mutt writing
out a file while another instance is starting up.

backtrace:

#0  _IO_seekoff (fp=0x0, offset=0, dir=2, mode=3) at ioseekoff.c:35
#1  0x400aa44e in fseek (fp=0x0, offset=0, whence=2) at fseek.c:38
#2  0x805048f in fseek_last_message (f=0x0) at buffy.c:55
#3  0x805057b in test_last_status_new (f=0x0) at buffy.c:98
#4  0x8050607 in test_new_folder (
    path=0x80c4048 "/home/dshaw/Mailspool/akamai.lock") at buffy.c:122
#5  0x80507c6 in mutt_parse_mailboxes (path=0xbfffed94, s=0xbfffed54, data=0,
    err=0xbfffede4) at buffy.c:201
#6  0x8061fe7 in mutt_parse_rc_line (
    line=0x80bb938 "mailboxes ! `echo $HOME/Mailspool/* $HOME/News/*` =pending",
token=0xbfffed94, err=0xbfffede4) at init.c:1253
#7  0x8061d18 in source_rc (rcfile=0x80bb8b0 "/home/dshaw/.muttrc",
    err=0xbfffede4) at init.c:1181
#8  0x8063311 in mutt_init (skip_sys_rc=0, commands=0x0) at init.c:1816
#9  0x806abee in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff930) at main.c:516

Mutt 1.1.2i (2000-01-08)
Copyright (C) 1996-2000 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.0.36 [using slang 9938]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  +USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX  +HAVE_COLOR

+HAVE_PGP2
+BUFFY_SIZE
-EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/spool/mail"
SHAREDIR="/usr/local/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc"
ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
_PGPPATH="/usr/local/bin/pgp"
_PGPV2PATH="/usr/local/bin/pgp"
To contact the developers, please mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/