I have started using screen so that I can launch lynx sessions in
another window. The problem is that this has messed up the
display of the mutt browser. There are error messages and
reverse-video bars placed in the wrong place when I scroll
through my mailboxes, whereas before it was just like scrolling
through the index. The index has not been affected under screen.

I have narrowed the problem down to the macros I have to make the
browser act more like the index and pager. [They write a file
with a count of the mailbox I am viewing at the moment, so I am
placed on it each time I return to the mailbox screen from the

Under screen, when I comment out these macros in my .muttrc, the
browser is fine, as before. When I define them again, the display gets
screwed up again.

It is a redrawing problem. Perhaps because the macros take too
long to execute? When I type <Ctrl-l> the display is refreshed
and everything looks good.

But when I type <Ctrl-a> <Ctrl-l>, the screen command to refresh
the screen, the display is not refreshed. This leads me to the
conclusion that this is not just a screen problem, but a problem
due to the interaction between mutt and screen. <Ctrl-l> is a
mutt command, and that is what redraws the screen.

For what it's worth here is (one of the macros):

macro browser j ':macro browser \cBJ `$HOME/.jayplus`'\n<next-entry>\cBJ

where in $HOME/.jayplus there is:

#!/bin/bash

#test if last-entry has been reached. If not, add another.
#<next-entry>.
#I have 33 mailboxes including spool, so 32 <next-entry> are needed.
#There is something wrong with the test. I get an error message
#but it still seems to work.

touch $HOME/.jay
JAY=`cat $HOME/.jay`
if [ $JAY =
"<next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry><next-entry>"
 ]
then
        exit
else
        echo -n "<next-entry>" >> $HOME/.jay
fi

#$HOME/.jay contains strings of form <next-entry><next-entry><..

What advice do you have?

--
Greg Matheson                   "Vent the pent:"
Chinmin College, Taiwan         Samuel Beckett