Erik Thiele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thu, 23 Mar 2000:
> mark_old:
> i use standard unix mail folders.
> unset mark_old
> does what i want. but in mutt -y overview mode, the folders with
> new messages inside won't be shown (they are shown only the first time).
> but this is probably a feature ? i ain'T sure ;)

That's because (I assume) after Mutt exits, the modification and access
times are the same.

This is really a tricky issue: should the "N" flag in the folder index
indicate that the folder has *newly arrived* mail in it, or should it
indicate that the folder contains mail marked as new?  These two are
separate methods, and you can't have both.  Currently, the behaviour
seems to vary depending on the folder type.  mbox folders behave in the
former way, and Maildir folders in the latter.  I believe this is so
regardless of the value of $mark_old.

I suppose when exiting a mbox folder with messages still marked as new,
Mutt could set the folder access time 1 second earlier than the
modification time, in order to get the N flag in the folder listing.
However it's not clear whether it should do this or not; some people
may want it one way while others the other.  This suggests the need for
YAO (yet-another-option)...

Regards,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /