Shao Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >   I am using mutt 1.1.9i. When using gnupg to verify the
> > >   signature, the screen is not properly refreshed. ie. some of the
> > >   characters from the index page are still displayed.
> >
> > So you're looking at the index listing and you press SPACE or RETURN
> > to view the current message, and you then see a messed up display
> > which still contains part of the index listing together with the
> > output of gnupg and the message contents. Is that correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Does the display become correct again if you then type C-l?
>
> Yes. Refresh will take away those chars from the index page. Scroll down
> and then up will do the trick as well.
>
> > The only explanation I can think of is a bug in curses or slang which
> > is manifested by some strange characters in the output of gnupg.
> >
> > In what language is the output of gnupg? Does the output of gnupg look
> > normal?
>
> everything seems normal except some characters from the index page.

> Shao Zhang - Running Debian 2.1  ___ _               _____

When I partially upgraded my system from Debian 2.1 to Debian 2.2, I
lost colour and suffered some other nastinesses until I adjusted my
~/.Xdefaults to get TERM=xterm-debian again. Perhaps you have some
similar sort of configuration confusion.

You could try running mutt on some different types of terminal (Linux
console, xterm, etc) to see if this helps diagnose a terminfo problem.

You could try intercepting gnupg with a script to catch its output and
check the output for any control characters.

Recently I've had some experience of messed up displays because I was
hacking newt and slang to understand UTF-8 and yesterday I was
implementing my own simple virtual terminal to run them on, but I
can't think how to diagnose your problem remotely ... Usually I just
attach gdb and look at SLcurses_Stdscr and SL_Screen ...

Edmund