----- Original Message -----
From: "Bakki Kudva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] slow on send?

> Raymond A. Meijer([EMAIL PROTECTED])@Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 10:52:20AM
+0200:
> > On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, 09:41, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Linux too, and I suspect that the MTA is just waiting for the
> > proper MX records from the DNS server?
> >
> but why does mutt have to wait for the MTA? I thought mail would be
spooled and
> mutt would return right away. I tried changing fetchmail polling to 5
seconds and
> that didn't help. Wonder if there are any sendmail settings which effects
this.

There's a setting that tells mutt how and for how long to wait for sendmail
(copied directly from the manual):

sendmail_wait
Type: number
Default: 0

Specifies the number of seconds to wait for the sendmail process to finish
before giving up and putting delivery in the background.

Mutt interprets the value of this variable as follows:

>0      number of seconds to wait for sendmail to finish before continuing
0       wait forever for sendmail to finish
<0      always put sendmail in the background without waiting

Note that if you specify a value other than 0, the output of the child
process will be put in a temporary file. If there is some error, you will be
informed as to where to find the output.

Note: I don't remember who was the original poster of this message, but they
mentioned that they "made up" a domain name. That could very well be their
problem... You can't just make them up. How's it even working ?? I don't
know. My guess is sendmail is set up for "smart relay" and ends up using
that (usually your ISP's SMTP mail server).

Regards,
Hall