David T-G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thu, 27 Apr 2000:
> So far, I have found mention of
>
>   procmail
>   maildrop
>   mailfilter
>   sieve
>   exim

... also qmail, you can have the .qmail-extension files in your home
dir with different delivery instructions for your
username-extension@host addresses.  But if you have shell access you
you might as well run a mail filtering tool...

> Now, is mbox-hook what I want?  The typical user is going to have all of
> his email dumped right into $MAIL and then want mutt to move Linux stuff
> here and mutt stuff there and cron jobs elsewhere, and I don't know that
> mbox-hook gives me that.  Maybe save-hook instead?

This is of course the wrong way to do it, you're just making pliers into
a hammer.  It works, sort of, but not what it was designed for...  It's
better to run a real mail filtering tool.  But, I guess you're already
aware of this.

You can probably do things with folder-hooks and macros, although if you
use tag-pattern (virtually a necessity) you still get that problem case
when there are no messages tagged, and the command then applies to the
current message.

If mbox-hook would allow for the usual Mutt patterns and thus allow
saving ("moving") messages to another folder on message-by-message
basis.  But according to the docs the pattern will only match the
folder name, so all you can do is move all messages from a particular
folder to another folder.  Not much help here.  (I don't actually
understand why mbox-hook exists, since you can get the same
functionality with folder-hooks combined with set mbox... If mbox-hook
would allow for per-message matching, it would be a different matter.)
Anyway, adding a folder-match operator to the Mutt regexps and then
changing mbox-hook to be per-message would retain the old functionality
and also make this command much more flexible.  But I don't know how
feasible that would be.

save-hooks would be ideal except that you'd need some way to apply them
one-by-one to every message in the folder, and I don't think there is a
method for that.

> TIA for any input you can provide, particularly for the last case.  Did
> anyone ever write that IMAP filtering tool mentioned a few months back? :-)

Not that I'm aware of.  It might be an interesting project to start, but
I don't need IMAP myself and haven't even installed it out of curiosity
yet. :-)

Hope this helps,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /