Cc'd to Felix in case he's not on the list and he thinks it's worth
adding to the FAQ.

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 11:38:26PM +0100 or thereabouts, Manuel Arriaga wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I know this is offtopic, but following the advice of some list members I
> created a new account for myself on my machine so that I don't run as root
> all the time

Good :)

> but there is no /var/spool/mail/manel file for it... so when I ran
> fetchmail I think all the retrieved messages where lost; can anyone tell
> me how to allow this other user (=me!) to use email?
> When I start mutt, I get a errno 2 message, saying
> "/var/spool/mail/manel: No such file or directory (errno = 2)".

I have encountered this on logging into a new account for the first time
and it's a pain in the neck. My solution was:

mail <myusername>
Splat
^D

That sends an email to me, /var/spool/mail/<myusername> gets created,
and mutt runs fine after that.

There is a section in the current FAQ of "Mutt cannot read my mail
spool!". If this answer works for people, I think it may be worth
adding something like this to it:

Another time Mutt will claim it can't read your mail spool, with an error
message of "/var/spool/mail/user: No such file or directory (errno = 2)",
is when the account has just been set up and no-one has ever sent any
mail to it. Either create that file, as root, with the 'touch' command
and ensure it has appropriate permissions and ownership, or send yourself
a one-word mail with the "mail" command: "echo plop | mail username",
substituting your name in the right place. Then start mutt again.

Telsa