On Tue, 23 May 2000, Chris Green wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 09:12:12PM -0400, Dave (Grizz) Glaser wrote:
> >
> > c. Remove the use of the mbox entirely and just keep their mail on the IMAP
>server, again negating most of the use of IMAP.
> >
> ????  I would have though the idea of the IMAP server *is* that you
> keep all your mail on the server.  Then you can see and manage your
> mail from anywhere.

In our university setting, the INBOX is on a mail spool on a central E10000 machine.
Each department then keeps all their other maiboxes on local machines. Our IMAP server
is set up so when you check your mail you get your INBOX from the remote machine and
the rest of your mail thourgh the IMAP server (which points to a local machine). If
you check your mail from an off campus site (or even extra department), then you can
still access all your mail INBOX and the rest of your folders. What I want when you
save your mail to the mbox is to remove it from the central campus server.

Its a little complicated, but it works.

Dave

> --
> Chris Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>   Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   WWW: http://www.isbd.co.uk/

 David S. Glaser  AKA Grizz     |
 M&M Systems Administrator      | Forget virus scanning. Its all about "re-
 U201 M&ME Building             | education". Preferably in a parking lot with
 Houghton, MI 49931             | a tire iron.   - BOFH
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]               |