Alex,

(hey there!)

You, Alex Lane, were spotted writing this on Tue, May 30, 2000 at 01:21:32PM -0500:
> I'm only just now noticing that one of the mailing lists I'm subscribed
> to appears to truncate the "-- " that separates the message from the
> message signature to simply "--".

It's against the RFC. The reason "-- " has a space in it is
so that human-inserted dashes, e.g. section headers and the like,
aren't recognized as sigdashes. Unfortunately, too many people/mailers
use "--" anyway -- that's a mistake on their part.

> I've got to believe this is not proper behavior on the part of the
> mailing list remailer, or am I wrong about that?

My guess would be that the mailing list software just strips off
"superfluous" whitespace off all lines in the message. Of course,
stripping off the space in a sigdash is improper.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://pobox.com/~mellon/