CaT proclaimed on mutt-users that:

>I don't suppose I have a hope in getting any sort of responce to this?

Let me see ..

>It is kinda important and I'd be more then happy to help track down the
>problem but at the moment I've gotten SFA responce to it which may mean
>that noone really cares if mutt corrupts mailboxes.

Short answer - mutt doesn't corrupt mailboxes.  You are running out of
disk space, or have a flaky hdd, or your TMPDIR is in the wrong place.

Try this - go to /tmp and nuke mutt-* (which sometimes get left there when
mutt crashes or dumps core).

Run e2fsck on your hdd (assuming it is a linux box) - and read the howto
first :)

Free some space on the partition where your /var/spool/mail is

Suresh Ramasubramanian | sureshr at staff.juno.com
My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not
signed.
                -- Christopher Morley