On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 07:50:47PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I want to backup my mail at the beginning of every month with a cronjob,
> cataloging it by date and then gzipping. I have gzip support for my mail
> program to read this as standard mbox files once compressed, however I
> just would like to setup a cron job for this. This is what I have so
> far...
>
> * 0 1 1-12 * mv /home/deklown/Msgs/backup-inbox
> /home/deklown/Msgs/backup-`date +Y-%m` |gzip

I don't know about the particulars of backing up your mail, but I would
recommend that you put all the commands to do this in a shell script and
simply refer to the shell script (by its full path name) in your crontab
file.  This will make it much easier to test and maintain your backup
procedure.

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | RF Communications Product Generation Unit