Graham --

...and then [EMAIL PROTECTED] said...
% Opps dunno what happened to the last mail. Anyways

Such is life :-)

%
% I get the correct list of folders when I do a c<tab><tab> but when I am

Good!

% editing/reading mail (my understanding) is that mutt should tell me if I
% get new mail in any of the mailboxes I have defined, is this correct or am

Well, I don't think you'll get any notification when you're editing or at
the compose menu (just after editing and before finally sending).  You
should see the notes when in the index or pager, though.

% I misunderstanding this.  What should the mailboxes command do, just so I
% know if what I think it does is correct

Yes, mailboxes tells mutt which mailboxes hold incoming mail (versus
=sent or =davidtg or the like).  This is both so that it's easy to
change to such a mailbox (c<tab><tab>) and, perhaps as an added feature,
to let you know which has new mail (where "has new mail" is defined as
"has a modification time later than the access time").

My guess is that something is touching your mail files and thus throwing
off the timestamp.  Assuming you're on a LINUX system or otherwise have
GNU's ls available, try

  ls -lF $HOME/Mail/root-mail
  ls -lF --time=atime $HOME/Mail/root-mail

and check the differences.  In order for new mail notification to work,
the timestamp returned by the former must be later than that returned by
the latter.

As a test, you can force this condition by touching the mailbox to update
the modification time.  Mutt should then see that you have new mail in
the box you touched, and the listing from c<tab><tab> should have an "N"
on the left for the appropriate row.

%
% Graham
% ----------------------------------------------------------
%  Graham Lillico
%
%  ITNET                  E-Mail  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
%  The Hollies            Phone   : +44 1785 782286
%  Newport Road           GNet    : 755 286
%  Stafford
%  Staffordshire
%  ST16 1BY
%
%  Key fingerprint = 2F4A 7D1D 7561 FFCF B744  CB0A 91AF 97D6 5BCB 17EE

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature