Hi,

On 07.06.00, Gary Johnson wrote:
> I've used urlview to help me view URLs embedded in email, and it works
> fine, but when a message contains lots of URLs, it can be difficult to
> choose the right one since urlview provides no message context.

After trying urlview, I was really unhappy with this solution too.
I've worked out another solution, which I'm running already for a long
time now. The program I use is mhonarc. See
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html for details. I've
written a small script mutt2mhonarc, which I start as a macro if I want
to read the mail via the webbrowser. mhonarc converts the urls to
clickable ones ... that's very convenient. Because I've plugged
mutt as the mailer into netscape (using muttzilla, see
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/brian_winters/mutt/ for details), I can
also click on email adresses within the mails using this tool. I've
defined

macro index   <f2> "|mutt2mhonarc\n" "show message via mhonarc in netscape"
macro pager   <f2> "|mutt2mhonarc\n" "show message via mhonarc in netscape"

in the global Muttrc and mutt2mhonarc looks like this:

#!/bin/ksh
#
ps=/usr/bin/ps
awk=/usr/bin/awk
grep=/usr/bin/grep
at=/usr/bin/at
rm=/usr/bin/rm
mkdir=/usr/bin/mkdir
sleep=/usr/bin/sleep
netscape="/server/usr/bin/netscape -standalone"
mhonarc=/server/usr/bin/mhonarc
#
$mkdir /tmp/m2m-dir$$ && cd /tmp/m2m-dir$$ && $mhonarc -single > m2m$$ || exit 1
cd $HOME || exit 1
if [[  -z "`$ps -e |$grep netscape|$grep -v grep`" ]]
then
 nohup $netscape "file:/tmp/m2m-dir$$/m2m$$" >/dev/null 2>&1 &
else
 $netscape -remote openFile\(/tmp/m2m-dir$$/m2m$$,new-window\)
fi
$at now + 1 minutes > /dev/null 2>&1 << END
$rm -fr /tmp/m2m-dir$$
END
if [[ $? != 0 ]]
then
 echo "Could not schedule delete of /tmp/m2m$$"
 exit 1
fi

As you can see, I'm checking if netscape is already running. And I'm
removing the files created from the mails (attachments are working
fine too) a little later then starting the stuff (otherwise the files
might be removed before netscape could read them. The scripts have to
be adapted to other environments (we have here a workstation cluster
running AIX 4.3.3), but it shouldn't be a difficult task.

Well, that's the solution of choice for me regarding urls in mails.

André

--
by  _ _      _   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   / \ \    / )  http://www.physik.uni-augsburg.de/~wobsta/