2000-06-13-17:42:36 Nils Vogels:
> 1) Attach the signature

By this I'm guessing you are referring to Mutt's default PGP/MIME
handling, RFC 2015.

> 2) Put the signature in the body of the mail and seperate
>    signature and body using ----- stuff

and I'm guessing here you mean the classic "clearsigning" that PGP
does, where the signature shows up separated by various lines from
the body, all within the (MIME) body of the message.

> By default my mutt handles the first type extremely well, but how
> can I educate it in such a way it understands the second type of
> signing too ?

Mutt can't, as far as I know, be taught to send the second sort; to
do that you need to turn off mutt's signing and use your editor to
filter the message through a suitable pgp or gpg invocation; I
filter through gpg --clearsign on those rare occasions I want to
generate a traditional signature.

If however you're mostly concerned with getting mutt to _read_ those
messages right, that's easy; see PGP-Notes.txt from the mutt
distribution for nice recipes for use with procmail or with
maildrop, to add MIME headers so that the messages will be
recognized and processed.

That same note has a macro that's supposed to do something for
composing classic clearsigned PGP email, but it's not perfectly
clear to me exactly what it's supposed to do, and it looks like it's
written for PGP rather than GPG (which is what I use). I expect if I
cared enough about sending old-style PGP email, I'd probably figure
it out:-).

-Bennett

PGP signature