Help, oh wise mutt-users!

Yesterday mutt was working fine, today I can't get it to work.  I try
to start it and it hangs while trying to open my mail folder.

All I get is:
    Reading /usr/mail/rsutton...
The same thing happens if I try to start with other folders besides my
inbox.

I can't even ctrl-c (or anything else) out of it.  --oh, and 'ps -ef'
reveals I have several defunct mutt processes running.  I sent them
kill -KILL signals, but they're still hanging...  Not sure how to get
rid of them...

I was running mutt 1.0.1, thought that might be a problem, so I just
compiled & installed mutt 1.2i (under my home directory-- this is a
sun, but not my box).  Same problem.

--Other programs aren't having any problems reading my mail files;
from works, countmail works, I'm using elm right now-- which I used to
use before I found mutt, but now it is so painful to use in
comparison!  Please pardon the Y2K incompliancy-- I've bugged the
system folk to upgrade elm, or better yet, install mutt, but they
still haven't done anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rebecca