On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:23:13PM -0500, Enrique Vadillo wrote:

> I'm trying to use mutt 1.0.1us with courier-imap using maildirs, i've
> tried to
> look into the mailing list archives but don't seem to find what i need.

You'd be better off with mutt 1.2 as it has quite a few IMAP
enhancements but 1.0.1 should work basically.

> I would like to know how i can configure my mutt to work with either
> imap (i've compiled it with --enable-imap) or as a localhost mail reader

You will find the Courier IMAP folders as:-
    {imap.server.name}inbox.folder_name

If you do:-
    set folder={imap.server.name}
    set spoolfile={imap.server.name}inbox
this will make mutt regard the IMAP server as its 'home'.

> reading directly from  qmail'sMaildirs.

Do you really mean qmail's maildirs or do you mean maildir folders
created by Courier IMAP?  If you mean the maildir folders created by
Courier IMAP you can use them directly with mutt but there are a
couple of 'gotchas' if you do it this way:-

    1 - Courier IMAP creates all its folders in directories named the
    same as the folder names you see remotely but with a '.' prefix
    and with '.' delimiters between folder levels.  It doesn't
    actually create a folder hierarchy.

    Thus if you create folders as follows:-
        Cars
        Cars/Citroen
        Cars/BMW
    then you will find you have the following directories creatd in
    the directory that Courier IMAP uses as its inbox:-
        .Cars
        .Cars.Citroen
        .Cars.BMW
    i.e. only one level of folders is actually ever created below the
    Courier IMAP inbox and they are all 'hidden' directories with an
    inital '.'.

> BTW do you see any problem/advantage with either implementation?

With 1.0 I'd go for accessing the diretories directly as you're not
then dependent on the fairly basic IMAP facilities.  You may well find
that setting mutt's mask so that you can see 'hidden' files will help
quite a bit.

--
Chris Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]