Threads are usually broken because someone's mailer doeesn't generate
any useful trackable header like Message-ID, References, or In-Reply-To.
I would rather get the person to use a better client, or smack her/his
ISP to add this support to their mail system.

As for threading by subject, it'd be nice to do what you suggested.  But
this is an open-source world where code speaks volumes.  So writing and
submitting a patch would be better.  :)