On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 01:00:47AM -0400, David T-G wrote:
> I, for one, had trouble following your aka proposal.  Do I understand
> that a configuration like
>
>   aka [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> would automatically readdress any email for [EMAIL PROTECTED] to [EMAIL PROTECTED]?

My understanding was that *replying* to a mail from [EMAIL PROTECTED] would
address the reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 08:52:15AM -0400, Stan Ryckman wrote:
> Unfortunately I deleted the original post, but I'm pretty sure that it
> was something like:
>     Given, in some situations (such as replying), what would be:
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     Convert (via this aka thing) to produce the header:
>         To: Joe Cool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> in otherwords, fill in the "unneeded" part of the address.

Not just the "unneeded" part, the whole address.  In other words, it
defines a "canonical" address for replying.

I can find uses for this too.  Some mailing lists around here can be
reached via multiple aliases -- [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  When list-replying to several messages,
sometimes the To: field contains several of these aliases.  Something
like $alternates for arbitrary addresses would be nice, e.g.

aka canonical-address list-of-addresses

or

aka canonical-address regexp

While gathering addresses for replying, Mutt would check all these aka's
and if the address matches the regexp, it would replace it with
canonical-address (and elminate resulting duplicates).

This cannot be solved with reply-hook (or send-hook with the `%'
modifier) -- IIRC `my_hdr To:' within send-hooks is ignored.  Besides,
that wouldn't help when replying to multiple recipients.

Marius Gedminas
--
Immanuel Kant but Kubla Khan.