Hi, folks --

...and then David Champion said...
%
% > Well, it does, but it parses from "top down" -- it takes the whole
% > string first, and then splits it up to expressions.  | can be "or",
% > so it splits it at that.  It doesn't look at the context.
% >
% > You can avoid it by quoting it, like you did, or by giving the pattern
% > in quotes: "^~L (alice|bob|carol)"  (or something like that).
%
% Ah, I see.  It's ^~L "(alice|bob|carol)".  Precedence would be a good
% topic for the manual to go over quickly.

Whoops.  Pardon me for jumping in here, but shouldn't any parser be able
to detect a ( and put everything up until the matching ) in a separate
precedence?  I still don't see why the parser would break the expression
into three ORs with an ( in one and a ) in another unless the code is
just plain broken -- but I can't read C enough to have any idea :-)  Note
that that's not a flame of the code or developers, especially since I'm
in no position to provide a patch to "fix" the behavior...

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature