Gary Johnson proclaimed on mutt-users that:

>Wow, this is one crazy-looking thread!  It's hard to know on which
>branch to post a response.

Easy to do - bin all the useless / m3 t00 posts in a long thread and
you'll have something manageable.

>I think a FAQ would be a good solution to this.  The downside is that
>someone has to maintain it.  So, is it less effort to maintain a FAQ or
>to answer the same questions over and over again?

maintain a faq.

>For a FAQ to work, it has to be thrust in the face of new users before
>they have a chance to ask the first question.  This could be done by

I know people who just delete the welcome message majordomo sends ;)

Anyway, a footer can be added to mails - rtfm at
mutt-newbie.sourceforge.net first, ask questions next, or something :)

>"Mutt FAQ and other information" to decrease the likelihood of it being
>ignored.  In addition, the FAQ, or a pointer to it, should be posted to

might work

>    Sources of information about Mutt
>
>    1.  On-line help.  Type '?' in any menu.  From there, search for key

8< lots of good stuff.

thanks :)

>I don't have any experience with separate lists for newbies and hackers,
>but I don't see how that would solve the problem.  How are newbies to

try [EMAIL PROTECTED] - set up specially for newbies :)

>get proper answers from other newbies?  If I wanted to be helpful and
>subscribe to both lists, I would still want to do something to minimize
>the volume of questions to the newbie list.

Maybe a bot which spits out the mutt faq anytime someone posts something
there (or maybe on the basis of some kind of procmail to grep for keywords
...)

listservers already do this with help <topic>

>Also, there are all types of newbies.  The annoying ones are the
>clueless ones.  Would a clueless newbie know to subscribe to the newbie
>list?

If he can't subscribe to mutt-newbie, he won't (likely) be able to get
onto mutt-users.  Clueless newbies who don't post on lists are a-ok :)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The giraffe you thought you offended last week is willing to be nuzzled