I've been using gnus for several years and I'm switching to mutt
because gnus finally crossed my aggravation threshold.  In the
interest of civility I won't relate any details but I will say that if
my relationship with my MUA was romantic I would be trying to get a
restraining order on gnus right now.

However, I've gotten very used to gnus's split-methods and MH-style
mail storage.  Just in case I decide I don't like mutt, I'm using
mailagent to do my mailbox filtering.  That seems to be working OK
(mailagent is a poky little thing, though).  My problem is that I
can;t figure out how to get a meaningful summary of what's new in my
mailboxes from mutt.  The closest I can get is sorting the folder by
reverse time but that's not really at all good enough.  I would like
to see a tabular summary of mailbox stats, something like number of
new messages in one column, number of old messages in another.

I looked through the mailing list archives and saw at least one thread
where this issue was raised; the response seemed to be something along
the lines of "understood that the browser doesn't do exactly what you
want; no, it's not going to be changed any time soon (unless you do
it)".  Is that a fair summary?  The version of mutt I'm running is 1.2
from the Debian package; do the later 1.2.x happen to change this
behavior?

Thanks,
Bill Gribble