Krist --

Before I forget, you should know that the proper mutt-users address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of at gbnet.net (where mutt.org is hosted,
and sometimes the hostname leaks through).

...and then Krist van Besien said...
% Hi all.
%
% Whe signing/encrypting a message at one stage of the process the following list
% of keys apears:
%
%    1 +  1022/0xEE6BF281 DSA  -s [EMAIL PROTECTED]
%    2 +  2046/0xF62FE8A0 ElG  e-
%    3 +  2046/0xF62FE8A0 ElG  e- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
%
% With the request to select one...

Yep.

% What do the different fields in this lis mean? What do DSA, ElG stand for, what

This output is actually just mutt's shorthand of PGP or gpg output, so
you might have better luck digging in those sources.  Here's what I can
provide, regardless of whether or not it's actually correct...

Key #1 is your signing key (your private key), which we know because of
the "-s" flag, and it belongs to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and is 1022 bytes
(what an odd number) and is key number EE6BF281.  Key #2/#3 is your
encrypting key ("-e"), is 2046 bytes (again 2 bytes short of what I'd
expect -- but, then again, I'm not peeking at my own keys to see what
they say), and belongs to the same guy but with key ID F62FE8A0; it's
pretty safe to bet that this is a matched private/public pair.

ElG stands for El Gamal, and it and DSA are (AFAIK) encryption
algorithms.  For [what I found to be] a fantastically informative and
easy-to-grasp paper on how public-key encryption works, you might surf
over to

  http://bigfoot.com/~davidtg/private/DHKeys/

and have a read.

% are the e- and -s flags? And what is the + just after the number...
%
% Lots of questions, but I couldn't find the answer in the docs, so henc I ask it
% here...

Always good for a laugh, if not the proper answer ;-)

%
% Krist
%
% --
% Krist van Besien                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature