Jason Majors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thu, 28 Sep 2000:
> I'm trying to change my index_format for my $record mailbox to show the
> recipient, not my address.

Ok.

First of all, the default $index_format already shows the recipient
name, not the sender (you) if Mutt detects that a message is from you.
In order to tell Mutt which messages are from you, you need to set up
the $alternates setting correctly.

You can do this by changing the $index_format with a folder-hook too,
sure.  No problem with that.

> I changed the index_format variable like it says in the online doc. When I input
> it at the colon prompt it works fine, but when I try it using a folder-hook
> it complains about some of the format strings %F, %Z and a few others.
> Does anybody know why this might be?

It's likely a quoting issue.  Add an extra level of "" or '' quotes
around the whole "set index_format=''" command.  The first set of quotes
will disappear when the folder-hook command is parsed, and the second
set of quotes is needed for when the folder-hook actually executes.

If you need more help than this, then please show the command you're
using, so people can then tell you how to fix the quoting with the
help of an example.

Hope this helps,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /