On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 08:05:44PM +0930, Brian Salter-Duke wrote:

> However I recently tried Vsevolod Volkov's nntp patch for mutt just for
> fun, but I am hooked. This is the way for me in the future. I have
> changed my mind. I think this patch should be added to the stable release
> of mutt. Reasons?
>
> However hard one tries to customorize mutt or slrn to be the same there
> are irritating small differences.

Exactly.  Expecially when you enter a newsgroup, it is always in pager
mode (in mutt's point of view).  If I bind the pageup(Prior) or
pagedn(Next) to page up/down the article, pressing pagedn when displaying
full subject index will also "load" an article.  In other words, you have
to use ^U and ^V to page subject headers instead.

Another thing is killfile.  Using procmail to filter junk seems to be
easier and faster than slrn.  I used to get very heavy disk acceses when
slrn doing the filtering.  Slrn killfile syntax seems hard to get it right.

Slrn still lacks a lot of things: even a DOS base offline message reader
has a configuration dialog, slrnrc is such a mess (with all those %%%%
is very hard to read).  I was thinking to write a ncurses base configuration
dialog, probably for slrn or mutt, however the "dotfile generator" already
exists.  I have been using Pan, but the developers  keeps changing the
database format and for every upgrade, the killfile is lost.  However, Pan
is doing well, it has really good features and a fast development pace.

> The extra size of the executable is not that large and, of course, those
> who do not want it can compile without --enable-nntp.

If the implementaion is good, it would save some space by not installing
another newsreader.