Hi,

I'm using mutt-1.3.9i, and Courier-IMAP-1.1 on Linux
and OpenBSD.  What I'm trying to do is to read my mail
on the machine running the IMAPD via localhost.

Unfortunately, I have to type in my password every
time I start mutt, even though I'm already authenticated
on the machine.

I noticed that Courier-IMAP has a preauth option
if you run it directly from the command line.  I could
not spot any option in mutt to execute a command rather
than connect to a socket. Has anyone got this to work?

As a quick hack, I used netpipes to connect the
stdin/stdout to a socket, and connect mutt to that.
It's very clumsy though, as each of my users has to
pick a unique socket number, and it is somewhat insecure
as anyone can try to connect to that socket and read that
users mail.

Here is the command line i am using:
faucet 1234 --daemon --once --out --in --localhost 127.0.0.1
/usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd ~/Maildir && mutt

So the user sets up mutt to connect to localhost:1234.

This works fine, but I was wondering if mutt could connect
to a domain socket (which I could set permissions on so only
that user could read it), or otherwise exec a command
instead of only connecting to TCP sockets ?  How do other
IMAP daemons handle the PREAUTH case?

Apart from this, the only other issue we've encountered
with mutt is that Courier-IMAP allows folders to contain
both sub-folders and messages, so that the directory
browser doesn't allow us to view messages in a folder
which contains subfolders.

The rest rocks! Great job :-)

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>