Peter Jaques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Sun, 15 Oct 2000:
> there's a tricky thing here, though.

Of course, it's not a simple setup (to get working right, at least).

> if a message exists on the desktop
> machine, & not on the laptop, there are two possibilities. 1) you
> downloaded it to the laptop & deleted it, or 2) it's new mail you've never
> downloaded to laptop. this could be dealt with by keeping a record of when
> syncs happen & comparing that to file mod times, i suppose. or does maildir
> do this in some special way?

Well, Maildir keeps new messages in a separate dir from the read
messages, but that doesn't really help here -- unless you make sure
to never do the sync with new mail in the "new" dir.

Keeping a record of sync times and then comparing which files have been
created when is probably the best way.  That I can think of, anyway.

Note that this problem isn't unique to Maildirs, the mbox folders suffer
from the same problem -- if there's new mail there in the folder, how
can you tell if it's something you did download to the laptop and
already deleted, or if it's something you've really not seen before?  So
the same problem needs to be solved there.

Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /