Greetings!

When in the index, if I press:

  !<ENTER>

I spawn the correct interactive shell (as defined in my ~/.muttrc):

  $ grep shell ~/.muttrc
  ##       environment variable in the shell.
  set shell=/usr/freeware/bin/bash

I verify this by doing:

  $ echo $0
  /usr/freeware/bin/bash

However if I try to execute shell escaped commands from the index
without spawning an interactive shell, I see that sh is used:

  !echo $0
  sh

Because the machine in question is an irix machine, /bin/sh != /bin/bash,
and irix's sh cannot resolve '~'.[1]  So I get:

  !ls ~
  Cannot access ~: No such file or directory

This is a bit frustrating as I tend to do a lot of shell-escaped
commands with arguments relative to my home directory.  (And '~' is much
easier to type than "$HOME". :-)

Am I stuck with sh when doing:

  !command [ arg [ arg ... ]]

or can I somehow get mutt to execute this form of shell-escaped command
with my choice of shell?

Thanks!
David

[1]  Some of you may point out that starting with irix 6.5, sh is a
     symlink to ksh, and ksh resolves '~'.  But ksh's behavior is
     different depending on $0.  In a number of ways, it acts like
     the Bourne shell if invoked as "sh".  '~' only resolves when ksh
     is invoked as ksh. :-(
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.