Some more info (with hopes of getting a reply this time ;)...

I'm beginning to think the problem is with the nfs client. I tried updating
the server to 2.2.18pre23 with no help (it caused other problems, so I
switched back to 2.2.17).

Just updated my client machine to 2.4.0-test11ac3 (as there were a couple
mentions of nfs fixes), also with no help.

As a test I manually added a new message to one of my mboxes. Waited a
minute then started mutt. Then looking at the atimes (ls -lu) on the client
and the server I see something like:

On the server:
-rw-------    1 jae      jae        534919 Nov 25 15:11 Mail/ldp

On the client:
-rw-------    1 jae      jae        534919 Nov 25 15:14 Mail/ldp

If remount the Mail directory the atime gets set back to the server value.
At least until I restart mutt when it gets set back to the current time
again.

I tried mounting with various nfs options; 'noac' (no attribute caching),
sync, and noatime. But this didn't help either.

Just to clarify something... mutt _does_ reset the atime on a mbox after
checking it for new mail. Right?

--

John Eikenberry
[[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://zhar.net]