This seems like an obvious newbie question but I cannot find answers to it
in the FAQ or by searching the archives of this list.

I use pine now and would like to switch to mutt for its richer
customization abilities, mailing list handling, and so on, but there's a
great feature of pine I cannot figure out how to replicate in Mutt.

In pine, I can specify directories as folder-collections, and using the
command-line method of listing initial keystrokes to be executed, I can
have a short alias that immediately opens up a menu of all the mailboxes
into which my mail is filtered. This is a separate directory from where my
incoming mailspool is located.

Is there a way to do this in Mutt?

thanks
ken