On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 12:37:47PM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
> Look at your "set editor" variable in .muttrc file.
>
> Once I had it set to vi, when I didn't have that installed, but I had
> vim installed, and received the same error.
>
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 02:41:59PM +0100, Gian Piero Ascenso muttered:
> | Hi,
> |
> |     I get the above error message when I try to send a message
> | with mutt 1.2.5i from a RH 7.0 Linux box on intel x686. I'm able to
> | fetch mail from my ISP, though, What's wrong? What should I check?
> |
> | PS - I'm writing this message from Netscape.
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> |             Gian Piero

This is not necessarily an editor problem.  This error means that mutt
encounters a problem when trying to execute an external program, most
probably when trying to execute a program which does not exist or is not
located where mutt's looking for it.  My bet in this case would be that
sendmail is not where mutt thinks it is.

But just to be certain - does this error pop up after you've composed
the message and are trying to send it, or does it show before you've had
a chance to write your message?  If it is the latter, then it might
very well be what Jason said - mutt being unable to start up your editor.
In that case, either set the EDITOR environment variable in your shell
startup scripts to point to a valid editor, or set the 'editor'
variable in your muttrc.

If it is the former, then it's most probably a sendmail problem -
check if you have /usr/sbin/sendmail on your system (or maybe
/usr/lib/sendmail, or /usr/libexec/sendmail..).  If you do not, then
you will need to install it, or install some other kind of mail transport
agent.  Mutt, unlike Netscape, is purely a mail user agent - showing you
the mail some other program has already delivered, and invoking some other
program to send out mail you've written.  Thus, it needs sendmail or some
sendmail workalike to send outgoing messages.  I like qmail better than
sendmail, but that's a matter of personal preference :)

Hope that was not too confuzzling :)

G'luck,
Peter

--