On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 09:21:59PM +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> [ Repost, sent 5+ hours ago and didn't hit the list for some reason ]
>
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 09:17:53AM -0500, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> > > anubis~/alu/tif/al013492> echo $TERM
> > > vt100
> > but what type of terminal emulator are you using?
> > (Although "vt100" may happen to work for vi, etc., it is unlikely that
> > you are using a vt100).
>
> Right. Last night I was on an Xterm, sshing to AIX from there. I hope this
> is what you wanted to know.
> Now I am on Putty at work, and found 1.3.14 misscompiles like this:

There's xterm and XFree86 xterm - the first doesn't, the latter does do color.
With curses and ncurses, it's decided (if the terminal supports color) by the
terminfo entries.  Some other applications such as color-ls are hardcoded.

Basically, you need at least the 5 capabilities shown in the comparison
below (colors, pairs, op, setab/setaf).

comparing xterm-r6 to xterm-color.
    comparing booleans.
    comparing numbers.
        colors: NULL, 8.
        pairs: NULL, 64.
    comparing strings.
        op: NULL, '\E[m'.
        setab: NULL, '\E[4%p1%dm'.
        setaf: NULL, '\E[3%p1%dm'.

About half the terminal emulators also need 'bce' to be specified, which
is why I don't use xterm-color:

        http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html
        http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html

PuTTY is an interesting case because it can (with some small bugs) emulate
both terminals which implement back-color erase (bce) and those that don't.
I experimented some with it a few weeks ago and didn't find that it would
exactly match any of the flavors I've got in ncurses -- perhaps someone
should sit down and work through the combinations of the settings...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com